Monday, October 24, 2011

Measure Twice Cut Once


I got lazy and ruined a coffee table.  





Although I sanded the top, I didn't sand the base or legs. 





 The paint peeled.

 It looked so good from far away, but the peeling paint looked terrible and the paper I'd put on top wasn't quite right because I'd rushed the process.



So, after acknowledging my weaknesses I made two purchases.  


 This is Zinsser 1-2-3 made my Rust-oleum it is awesome for two reasons

1. It is water based.  I don't even want to mess with oil based products right now.
2. You can paint it over a glossy surface and go straight to painting!  No Sanding!!!


My second purchase was a Purdy Paint Brush


A proper paint brush makes the difference between slopping paint and applying paint.  Brush marks are easier to avoid with the thin flexible bristles and the brush cleans up quick without even using soap. 

I've started a few new projects using these two new tools.  They've already saved me time and the painting looks really smooth and even.

The table isn't a total loss, the cat loves it and it fits an under the window spot we were having problems finding furniture for.  




No comments:

Post a Comment