Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Old Vanities Are a Hard Sell


I watch the beautiful old vanities coming in for market, some painted and some natural.  Huge mirrors, lots of drawers for lady stuff, glass tops, mirrored tops all very feminine.  It's sad to watch the wallflowers waiting for someone to decide that they may have a use for an old vanity.




Who uses a vanity as a vanity anymore? While the big mirrors are nice, they are very difficult to sit at to get ready.  You can't really get close enough to the mirror for makeup application, there isn't enough light unless you take up the top with lamps or resort to a industrial clap lamp.  I found a really interesting article at HowToSpendIt.com It takes a second to get the hang of the site but the article is really informative.  Now I want to line the drawers with suede!




As I've been working with this rather plain vanity, I've been thinking about what it could be used for.  I decided to leave off the mirror. I've also been trying to come up with an accent color for this brick red. I really don't want to use cream, but everything else looks to masculine. 



It seems to be the perfect size for a kids desk or a entry table. Still not sure how it will turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment